Thursday, April 5, 2007

Drive-by evangelism

Interestingly enough right after I posted about "Evangersation", I came home to find a packet of materials hanging from the doorknob of my house, and I noticed the packet hanging from the doorknobs of my neighbors' houses as well. When I looked at the packet I found the following pamphlet inside:
It's basically a very bad version of the "Roman Road" technique, except this pamphlet doesn't show you what the Bible says, it just has little asterisks beside every point that are referenced to a list of Bible verses on the other side of the pamphlet. However, to me the asterisks communicate that there may be an exception to every one of the points. And in my mind the little asterisk says, "Don't worry this doesn't apply to you". I am used to seeing asterisks in pamphlets that say things like "Everyone who signs up for the Visa Super Platinum card will receive a free toaster!*", and then the asterisk says something like: "*Free toaster only to those suckers willing to accept the $400.00 annual membership fee and 34.5% introductory APR which increases to 48.7% after your first purchase."

This little pamphlet basically addresses the points I made in my earlier "Evangersation" post in that I can't imagine how it could be read with any relevance or be taken seriously.

Seriously though, if you are reading this blog and you have some testimonies from believers who came to know the Lord through a pamphlet alone please let me know. I don't mean someone who was led through the basic tenants of salvation by another believer who was using pamphlet as a guide, I mean someone who found a pamphlet, read it and got saved right then and there.

Another interesting point is when you look at this pamphlet, although it addresses sin as the reason we deserve death (the "wages") it doesn't address repentance from sin at all. All this basically says is that your a sinner, your going to hell, Jesus died on the Cross to pay for your sins, say this prayer and it's all taken care of...this is a half Gospel and it hurts and confuses people.

To me the idea behind the action of repentance is that in response the message of the Gospel we take the object of our worship from the things of the world and change it to Jesus. The reality of Christ living in you enables your repentance and will be evidenced by a changed life. It seems like this is much different than saying a prayer to get forgiven so you don't go to hell.

Here are some examples of where the Bible calls for repentance:

  • Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand. Matthew 3:2
  • From that time Jesus began to preach, saying, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.” Matthew 4:17
  • 20 Then he began to denounce the cities where most of his mighty works had been done, because they did not repent. Matthew 11:20
  • The men of Nineveh will rise up at the judgment with this generation and condemn it, for they repented at the preaching of Jonah, and behold, something greater than Jonah is here. Matthew 12:41
  • and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel. Mark 1:15
  • 14 Now after John was arrested, Jesus came into Galilee, proclaiming the gospel of God, 15 and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel.” Matthew 1:14-15
  • So they went out and proclaimed that people should repent. Matthew 6:12
  • I have not come to call the righteous but sinners to repentance. Luke 5:32
  • No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish. Luke 13:3
  • No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish.” Luke 13:5
  • Just so, I tell you, there is joy before the angels of God over one sinner who repents. Luke 15:10
  • Pay attention to yourselves! If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him, Luke 17:3
  • And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. Acts 2:38
  • Repent therefore, and turn again, that your sins may be blotted out, Acts 3:19
  • Repent, therefore, of this wickedness of yours, and pray to the Lord that, if possible, the intent of your heart may be forgiven you. Acts 8:22
  • The times of ignorance God overlooked, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent, Acts 17:30
  • but declared first to those in Damascus, then in Jerusalem and throughout all the region of Judea, and also to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, performing deeds in keeping with their repentance. Acts 26:20
  • 9 As it is, I rejoice, not because you were grieved, but because you were grieved into repenting. For you felt a godly grief, so that you suffered no loss through us. 10 For godly grief produces a repentance that leads to salvation without regret, whereas worldly grief produces death. 2 Corinthians 7:9-10
  • I fear that when I come again my God may humble me before you, and I may have to mourn over many of those who sinned earlier and have not repented of the impurity, sexual immorality, and sensuality that they have practiced. 2 Corinthians 12:21
  • Therefore repent. If not, I will come to you soon and war against them with the sword of my mouth. Revelations 2:16
  • Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent. Revelations 3:19
  • 20 The rest of mankind, who were not killed by these plagues, did not repent of the works of their hands nor give up worshiping demons and idols of gold and silver and bronze and stone and wood, which cannot see or hear or walk, 21 nor did they repent of their murders or their sorceries or their sexual immorality or their thefts. Revelations 9:20-21
  • 8 The fourth angel poured out his bowl on the sun, and it was allowed to scorch people with fire. 9 They were scorched by the fierce heat, and they cursed the name of God who had power over these plagues. They did not repent and give him glory. 10 The fifth angel poured out his bowl on the throne of the beast, and its kingdom was plunged into darkness. People gnawed their tongues in anguish 11 and cursed the God of heaven for their pain and sores. They did not repent of their deeds. Revelations 16:8-11

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it would be interesting to start collecting odd religious pamphlets and fliers. You know, some people collect stamps or Pez candies I might take that up.

I think I'm going skiing this weekend. There's this little A&W rootbeer stand that has some great fliers. The one that sticks in my head was "Do Jews Love Jesus." I would be willing to lay down some serious cash that this pamphlet has not converted a single Jew into a Christian.

Honestly, I think if anyone were to convert simply from a flier we should try to convert them back to whatever they came from. I can only imagine the simple-mindedness that would be critical for this conversion to take place.

fiodax said...

That would be a very interesting scrapbook for the coffee table.

As for converting them back, you make a hilarious but very good point. Look at Matthew 23:15:

"Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you travel across sea and land to make a single proselyte, and when he becomes a proselyte, you make him twice as much a child of hell as yourselves."

The idea being that if you accept a false gospel you will have to unlearn the false gospel in order to accept the true Gospel (hence the "twice the child of hell").

fiodax said...

One thing to this pamphlet's credit is that it does use the "wal-mart" happy face guy, which is an icon that most people around here can relate too. This is pretty good cultural contextualization as far as delivery goes, to bad they had to sacrifice the method and message in the process.

Anonymous said...

Great point. I know when I think WalMart, I think Jesus. Not the King of the Jews Jesus, but that guy that mows my lawn every other Tuesday. Maybe if you read the pamphlet over again from the perspective that they're actually referring to a Mexican laborer it'll be more clear.