Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The Jesus you never knew...maybe...

..except those of you who grew up in Sunday School, you might recognize him:



Julie and I are going to the Acts 29 Network Boot Camp in Raleigh, North Carolina in September. I have been going through their assessment process to become a church planter with their organization, the boot camp is where we will get to meet other church planters, learn a whole bunch about planting a church, and we will also get our final assessment as to whether we will be a part of their organization. We are planning now on planting a church right here in Elk City. The assessment process has been very meticulous and I appreciate that as it has helped me to focus on what God is calling me to do, and it has helped to confirm that call within me.

For a time this summer I was very aggressively considering moving to another city and getting another job, but God has put a stop to that. I decided that I was sinning by constantly looking to the next thing thing to do in life instead of being who I was where I was. I was lacking integrity.

I was reminded of this one day when we took our kids to the duck park. We went to ride the train, and the whole time they were on the train the kids kept complaining about wanting to ride the carousel, and then we went to ride the carousel and the whole time they complained about wanting to putt-putt, and then we went to putt-putt and they kept talking about wanting a snack. By the end of the evening they said "Man we didn't get to do anything!". It struck me that this was how I was living my life and I needed to stop.

The video above is from an Act 29 church plant in Raleigh, vintage21 church. This is were we will be going for the boot camp. We can't wait!

1 comments:

fiodax said...

just a very late update. I was "not accepted" by acts 29. you'd think i'd be angry about this, and for a day or two I was. But ultimately I realized that I'm not ready right at this time to be a church planter. WOW the standard at a29 is ultra high, you should have great confidence that any church you go to that is planted by these guys is rock solid. I'm going to focus on shoring up my scripture knowledge, focusing on my family, shoring up some of my own personal disciplines and focus on discipling the poeple right around me for a while. Might revisit church planting later, but God kicked my but at the a29 boot camp, and he's given us a new direction.