Sunday, September 19, 2021

It's OK not to be the priest.

For the record, I'd like to say that I am an Orthodox Christian, I believe in the creed. I trust in the resurrection of Christ. But, I am not a priest.

I support gay marriage, I am pro choice, I am for open borders, I support the legalization of prostitution and all drugs. I realize that some of these positions may be in opposition of the "official" position of my faith, but that's why I'm happy to be a lay-person. In fact I've found a great deal of meaning in the Orthodox's lack of an unspoken expectation for everyone to 'go into ministry'. Growing up the way I did, there seemed to be an unspoken expectation that the only way to be a "real" Christian was to become either a minister or a missionary. If you were just a regular person with a job, then that was "OK I guess", but not really the fullness of your calling. I have found some comfort in being liberated from that expectation after becoming Orthodox.

I do believe that there is a meaningful and important role for the lay believer. God loves people and is going to welcome us all into his presence, and we'll experience that as bliss as long as we can leave our hatred for each other behind. I think that fundamentally, this is the truth of Orthodoxy. Within the body of Christ there is a role for those who must defend the tradition and doctrine as well as for those who are free to act more liberally. We all must trust in the grace of God as we extent love to those who are labeled as "outcasts", even those outside the faith.

0 comments: